Monday, April 4, 2016

They Freaked Out!

Hello dear readers! I can't believe that it's been a year already since my last post in this blog. So much has happened in the past year, and I'm so glad I survived. We have so much catching up to do, don't we?

Well, I've moved out from my parents months ago and I couldn't be happier for that decision. Though my parents, especially my mother was against it, they respected my decision. I am enjoying my freedom now but, living on my own has it's pros and cons. I'll talk about that in my other blog.

Anyway, I've been noticing some things in my body for awhile now but I've ignored it. Now, that I am on my own... I decided to go see a doctor, an OB/GYN to be exact.

My concerns are the following:
  • irregular period - didn't have my monthly visitor since November 2015
  • acne breakouts
  • unwanted facial and body hair (hirsutism) - I'm quite hairy for a woman
So far, those are just what I have noticed but still made me worried.

Althea - an oral contraceptive pills
When I went to the OB/GYN clinic, the gynecologist did an ultrasound on my lower abdomen. She was actually about to do a transvaginal ultrasound to me, but since I don't have any sexual activities, we settled with abdominal ultrasound. 

To make the story short, I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). They found small cysts on my ovary. This explains the unwanted hairs, PCOS makes more androgens (male hormones). PCOS may cause a woman to stop ovulating, get acne, and grow extra facial and body hair.

According to WebMD, the cause of PCOS is not fully understood, but genetics may be a factor. PCOS seems to run in families, so your chance of having it is higher if other women in your family have it or have irregular periods or diabetes. PCOS can be passed down from either your mother's or father's side.

I asked my mother about it. She said when she was younger, she used to have irregular period, but she ignored it. When she gave birth to me, her period became regular. So, I probably got it from my mother. 

I know this may sound crazy, but I miss having my monthly visitor. I feel like I'm not a woman without them. 

So yeah, the gynecologist prescribed me to try birth control pills. She gave me Althea, and I have to continue using it for three to four months, until my period becomes regular. 

According to the label, Althea is an oral contraceptive (obviously), and also an anti-androgen. So, it means Althea will fight with my acne and unwanted hair. 

Adverse Effects
Some women may experience side effects such as:
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • chloasma (melasma)
  • skin or hair changes
  • headache
  • water retention
  • slight weight change
  • breast tenderness
  • changes in libido
I really have high hopes that this will help me get my period back to normal, and eliminate the cysts on my ovary.

I did not tell my mother about my appointment with the gynecologist, so she doesn't know a thing yet. But I already know that the moment she finds out that I am taking birth control pills, she will freak out!

And yes, she did! I just told her. When I called her and told her that I am taking pills, she didn't even let me finished my sentence and said "Who the hell is your boyfriend? Why are you taking pills? Why not use a condom?". I was just laughing and she was so mad.

I told her about the gynecologist appointment, the PCOS, and all the other details. She now understands it, but she said she's still worried that I may not get pregnant someday. Oh Mama! 

Today will be the first day that I will starting taking the pill. As soon as I finished the whole pack (21 pills = 21 days), I will make an update here and a review of Althea, hopefully. 
comments

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...